Going out with someone you barely know is risky no matter where you meet — be it online, in a bar or in church. But unlike that chance encounter in the church
social hall or in a bar, online dating carries different risks because it’s quite likely you will reveal a lot of information about yourself before you ever meet in person. Follow these 10 tips for safe online dating:
- Keep your personal information confidential.
- Play detective. Before meeting in person, find out everything you can about your new friend.
- Keep your wallet closed.
- The ideal first date: A weekday lunch in a busy restaurant.
- Drive yourself. For the first date, meet at a restaurant.
- Do tell a close friend or relative where you’re going.
- Toast with a soft drink as alcohol can impair your judgment.
- Split the bill. Why? Some expect sex in return.
- Carry a cell phone, fully-charged.
- No sex on the first date.