MOST DEADLY TIME OF DAY
More fatal car crashes occur at 2am than any other time of day, while the safest time to drive is 8am on weekdays in the height of rush hour. This according to analysis of traffic from researchers at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, PA. The big headliner from the study is
that women are better drivers than men since men are more likely to take risks. It also means that men have a 77 percent higher chance of dying in a car crash than women, based on miles driven. Want more?
- A cautious 82-year-old woman is more likely to die in a car crash than a risk-taking 16-year-old boy.
- But right behind those little old ladies are young male drivers, ages 16-23 who have fatality rates four times higher than average.
- New England is the safest region for all drivers.
- The safest passenger is a baby or toddler secured in a car seat during the morning rush hour.
- The safest vehicle is a school bus or van.
- The most dangerous vehicle is a motorcycle.
- The safest driving day is Wednesday.
- The most dangerous driving day is Saturday.
- The safest driving month is February.
- The deadliest driving month is October.
- The driver with the lowest risk of death is tied between someone who is 40 or 50 years old.